Thursday, December 24, 2009

Septimus Heap: Physik, a novel by Angie Sage

When Silas Heap unSeals a forgotten room in the Palace, he releases the ghost of a Queen who lived five hundred years earlier. Queen Etheldredda is as awful in death as she was in life, and she's still up to no good. Her diabolical plan to give herself everlasting life requires Jenna's compliance, Septimus's disappearance, and the talents of her son, Marcellus Pye, a famous Alchemist and Physician. And if Queen Etheldredda's plot involves Jenna and Septimus, then it will surely involve Nicko, Alther Mella, Marcia Overstrand, Beetle, Stanley, Sarah, Silas, Spit Fyre, Aunt Zelda, and all of the other wacky, wonderful characters that made magyk and flyte so memorable.

A little difficulties here. When Septimus trapped in Ancient Time, the language changed to Old Language. I felt dizzy reading those. Old Language is far difficult with it’s words, spellings. And I think the accent, too, if I listen to audio book of this Physik book. Aargh! My brain have to work twice harder than usual.

Half book is set in Ancient Time. It’s fun imagining this that our protagonists are know but yet not know. I mean they were in their own town with passages and places from their Time. They can walked everywhere they wanted because they knew the way. But the Ancient people and the language got them frustrated. Near the climax, the story is more fun. I like it.

As previous Septimus Heap books, I feel bored in the first few chapters, because I don’t know where the story will take me. But after the middle of the book, the Septimus’s adventure became interesting.

Other thing that made my forehead creased. The title “Physik”. Physik was not took part in most of the book. It was told almost at the end of the book. I think “Alchemie” suit well.

Indeed, giving title is a difficult thing. I appreciate Sage for giving unique words in this series. Physik instead of Physic, Darke instead of Dark, Magyk instead of Magic. I don’t know if these words are in old languages.

No comments: