Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dog Handling, a novel by Clare Naylor

Yesterday, Liv Elliot had it all: a great flat in London’s Notting Hill, an actual career (okay, as an accountant), and a coveted fiancé. Every girl’s dream, right? But then Tim declared that the wedding was off—leaving Liv shell-shocked. Luckily, she’s got her best friend’s fab Australian beach house in which to recuperate.

The restorative powers of the Sydney sun, sand, and sea soon have Liv feeling wonderfully anti-accountant. Then she runs into old flame Ben Parker. It’s been years since they fooled around during a summer fling, but Liv never forgot that genetically blessed face. Raring to help her land beautiful Ben, Liv’s friends teach her the Rules of Dog Handling: Treat a man like a dog and he’ll be eating out of your hand. But surely this can’t actually work? Liv is about to find out that it can—but she’s hardly prepared for the results.

Treating men like we playing with dogs. It’s interesting and I never think about it. Before, I hate when I read the male character throw the female protagonist (or women, commonly) away like rubbish. In this story, women take control.

We can look Liv’s character develop. She’s just broke up, very desperate and do her job halfheartedly. She goes for vacation, have fun with her friends, have relationship with wrong guy again and learn how to treat them like dogs. She make her business well. She’s successful but not in her love life. There’s no one good point in lying – though it’s white lie.

I can imagine Australia in Liv’s point of view. The market, pubs, Mardi Gras parade, the beach. It’s like traveling promo to attrack tourists. And I can’t believe Ms. Naylor put homosexual characters. But, it’s ok. I think they make the story alive and even funnier. I laughed when I read Dave and James transformed to Cher or whoever they wanted to. I imagine handsome and tall guys (yeah, make me happy) but they wear and do women stuff (wig, makeup, waxing, OMG!) It’s look like my eyes hopped out of its place. Make me “Wow!”



Book-O-Meter

No comments: