Thursday, December 25, 2008

Septimus Heap: Magyk, a novel by Angie Sage

The 7th son of the 7th son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son, Septimus?

A different magical world from the one that stuck in our head (Harry Potter sagas). Wizards and witches live with human, ghost and soldiers in ancient country which was lead by a queen. They live in castle, tower or barracks. They wear robes and tunics and hunt animals for food. The spells are unique. We hold the charm and then say the incantation. It’s in English, tends to poem style with modification in writing. For example: Magyk for Magic, Darke for Dark. Half Harry Potter, half Chronicles of Narnia. This story is full of imaginations.

Good story, but I feel a little bored especially before Boy 412 started to talk. After that, the intensity grow bigger and bigger. A child knows nothing about magic and he doesn’t realize there is super magic inside of him. I can’t stop reading. I see their world, I see their journey, I see many weird creatures. In the end of the book, Ms. Sage gives us surprise (actually I can gues what it is and I’m right).

I can’t wait to the second book, Flyte.

Book-O-Meter

No comments: