Friday, November 21, 2008

Wanderlust, a novel by Chris Dyer

The only novel written in email form I know. I don’t see other novel in this form. It’s very exciting. I’ve read novel in diary form (Princess’ Diaries, of course) and SMS form (I forgot what the title is, wait, I think I remember, soulmate.com by Jessica Huwae, yeah, that’s it).

I followed Kate’s journey around the world (exactly it’s half around the world because it’s US-Europe journey) looking for life and love. The author asked us to join Kate with flashback style. She told her friends and mom what had happened to her via email, so it’s like to be told by her. That’s flashback, right? I enjoyed Kate’s talking and her relationships with two men.

But it made me bored soon. All the characters used email as their dialogs. No ordinary dialogs. No real conflicts. Just the story of their doings, their works, their problems. I really can’t get into Kate’s mind. I don’t know what her intentions are or what she was thinking or what to do to her confusing love. No clues about what happen next at all. It’s like pulling trigger from far away. Nobody knows who he target is unless the bullet had got him/her. There is one other minus thing with this novel. The time setting is jumping around within emails. Sometimes they emailed 3 times a day. Sometimes they emailed once in 3 days. I don’t know what happen in those gaps. And I feel uncomfortable with that.

After all, it’s funny writing novel in email form. This is what people are looking for, UNIQUENESS.



Book-O-Meter

No comments: