Sunday, March 28, 2010

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian

By                        : Rick Riordan
Publisher            : Hyperion
Publishing Date : May 5, 2009
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time. In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

REVIEW
This is the best ending, beside Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. Too bad, Percy’s adventures end here. Full action and battle sequences from the beginning to the end of the book. I really can’t put the book down. Sleepy or crammed neck and tired eyes, I don’t care. Percy Jackson, I follow you til the end.

Demigods that have minor role in previous books or new characters in this one, show up to defend Olympus and the world from Kronos. They die and many of them died in honor. Gods, as usual don’t too fond with human. They do as they like and I find it a little annoying. They are gods but they can’t see what they face – it’s kind of silly, isn’t it? A few surprises and twists were there although they were not as shocked as in previous books.

I’ve said character bearing the name of Luke is always a good character. But I – and you – know that’s an exception for Luke Castellan. I hate him for make Percy and Annabeth suffer. All I can think is “how could he?” – this is the effect of me too absorbed to the story and Riordan’s writing style affetcs mine, too. But believe me. After reading this book, everyone will change their mind to “oh, poor Luke”. And indeed, I am right: Luke is a good character in every book I know. Now, the number in hatred-o-meter decrease a little bit to “sympathy”.

No comments: