Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Subtle Knife, a novel by Philip Pullman


Will is 12 years old and he's just killed a man. Determined to discover the truth about his father's disappearance, he steps through a window into another world. There, he meets a girl called Lyra who, like himself, is on a mission.

It’s a very, very difficult book to understand. Though, has difficult theme. Religion, physics, archaeology, politics and global warming. All aspects in one book and make me fuzzy. It has deep meaning and phew, I have to read it slowly to get it done. A child holds the connection of all worlds and she has task to save those. I can feel the burden myself.

The book has sensitive theme here and no wonder the first book is banned. I understand why they do that. I think this is not good for children eventhough the main character is a child. She is 12 years old with consciousness and thought of an adult. Inapropriate for children reading it.

No comments: